Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rejection Foiled!

I love writing. The stuff that comes afterwards--not so much. I don't mind revising, editing, tinkering, etc., because that makes my product (the writing) better. Sure, I'd love to be Isaac Asimov, who once said that he never wrote a second draft because he couldn't make it better than his first, but I don't think I'm blessed with that sort of talent (if you disagree and think I'm the best ever, please say so in the comments. Unless you're a family member. Thanks anyway, Mom!). What is not my first love is the hyper-competitive nature of getting your work out for other eyes to view.

It hit be hard this morning that the reason I'm able to withstand the constant rejection that is a precursor to eventual success (stay positive!) is that I have a place to go where I'll never be rejected.

Mrs. HeWrites (SheWrites? Oh Hell, let's just stick with Mrs.) is always there for me. She reads my pages. She catches my errors and makes suggestions. She researches tips and tricks of the industry. She's even been known to spend evening following certain Twitter users with my account while I'm lounging on the couch (not you of course, my favorite Twitter friend, if you've made the trek to this humble blog. You I sought out myself with great determination and slavishly read your every tweet and blog entry). She asks about my progress with hopefulness and interest, and--undaunted--encourages me when I give her an update that in no way validates either.

We spend so much time as writers getting ourselves 'out there' and promoting our brand (that word always makes me feel like I'm Tony the Tiger). We have to of course. Ask anybody with half a brain and they'll tell you that their support system is what makes them who they are. I don't want to wait to be asked. And God knows I don't want to wait for the dedication line in my published book. It's important right now that Mrs. knows just how important she is to my efforts. That she keeps me going when it's tough and there's nobody else I'd rather celebrate a win with.

I'm sure you, dear reader (yes, I just did the literary equivalent of a direct gaze into the lens of the camera. It's my blog, I can break rules if I want), have a support system worth thanking. Do it today. Don't wait around for the publication. They should know now and know often how valuable they are.