Wednesday, September 14, 2011

An Education in Crime Fiction

My next endeavor can be viewed as bass-ackwards (since I've already written a book) or an exercise in honing my craft.

I'm taking the vaunted advice gathered during by submersion in the shark tank to heart and setting up a reading list. I plan on reading 20 crime novels by Thanksgiving. This whirlwind tour is intended to educate me on the finer points of plotting, pace, forward momentum, and dialogue employed by published writers.

Here's where you come in: I'm looking for suggestions on which books to choose. Specifically in the mystery/thriller genre. I would most closely associate my style with Robert B. Parker (and hope to someday be good enough to inspire that comparison out of others). I'm open to any similar books. When in doubt, suggest a title, I'll certainly consider it.

Please be specific, give me a name and title, not just "anything by X". And if you're a writer, feel free to tout your own work, I'd love to read it.

This is no contest, there's no incentive to comment to win anything. But if you're reading my blog you're likely a lover of good books. And who doesn't salivate at the mouth to recommend a good book?

Recommend Away!