Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Witness Above

I've been neglectful in my posting. Almost as though I'm trying to read a large number of books in a short period of time while managing a job, a family, and my own manuscript revisions (ok--thoughts of revisions).

Since my last post I've read Janet Evanovich's first Stephanie Plum novel, One for the Money. If you're a fan of Robert B. Parker and you haven't read Ms. Evanovich you're missing out. It's almost like reading a female Spenser. In a word, hilarious.

Much like my previous post I feel the frontrunner doesn't need my compliments overflowing their plate. So let me focus on a novel I just completed by a writer with a bright future.

A Witness Above is Andy Straka's debut crime novel. It's almost a decade old, and he's written several more since. The protagonist is Frank Pavlicek, a discredited former NYPD detective living out his mundane life as a Private Investigator in a small West Virginia town, consoling himself from the deterioration of his family with his love for falconry.

The description of Pavlicek I've just given makes him sound damned depressing. He's not. Straka takes us quickly through the events leading him to where he is when the story begins, and fills us in on more of the backstory as we go along.

The plot itself involves a dead drug dealer discovered by Pavlicek, and his teenage daughter's implication in the crime. As the thread unravels there is deceit and uncertainty in droves. I had only fleeting suspicions of the ending before it came. This is much to Straka's credit. I don't expect to be kept in suspense of whodunnit, but of the resolution. When I get both I'm very pleased.

There were some moments where the dialogue felt pushed, like it was moving to serve the story and not true to the characters. But there were also some very entertaining exchanges, and by the end I was ready to read move about Frank Pavlicek.

I hope you all take a look. Mr. Straka deserves it.

Next up, The Kotov Syndrome by Russell Blake. It's free on iBooks and I'm in between trips to the library. Perfect combo.

After that I hope to get my hands on a copy of Antler Dust, by Mark Stevens. I swear I reserved a copy from the library, but now a search for the book and author comes back with nothing! Guess I'll try Amazon.

I'm still open to recommendations. Tweet me.